Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Game Day #2

Today was the 2nd day of games.  We had a 9:00 meeting this morning where we reviewed some things from the previous days games.  After the meeting I had only about 45 minutes to go back up to my room to get ready to head to the rink.  I was on the 12:00 game (Czech vs Russia) at the other venue, Nepean Sportsplex.  This rink is obviously a much smaller than Scotia Bank (I think it holds about 3000 people) but it was really loud.  The announced attendance was 1045 so that many people in a much smaller space made the atmosphere a lot of fun.

I was working the game with Laura and Nicole (from Germany).  Laura and I had a blast working with each other.  We have worked together in the past so it as easy - I knew where she was going to be and vice versa.  Russia scored the first two goals of the game but then Czech scored to make it 2-1 going into the 3rd period.  With about 6 minutes left Czech was on the powerplay when a Russian player intercepted a pass, went in on a breakaway and scored a beautiful goal to put them up 3-1.  Russia held on to the lead despite some late pressure from the Czech team and was able to win the game.  Strange moment of this game happened about 6 minutes after it had started.  A Czech girl just fell in the middle of the ice.  She tried to get up and fell again.  I figured she was having an issue with her skate blade but I didn't expect the issue to be that her skate blade just fell out of the holder!  Poor girl basically had to crawl to the bench!  I've seen blades break but I don't think I've ever seen them fall out of the holder in one piece.

After the game we stuck around to watch Germany vs Sweden.  This was another great game, with Sweden winning 3-2 in OT.  Following that game we headed back to Scotia Bank to catch the Canada vs Switzerland game.  We left after the 2nd period when Canada was up 8-0.  The final score was 13-0.

Tomorrow is an off day.  We are thinking about going to tour the Parliament here in downtown Ottawa and we have a dinner hosted by Hockey Canada tomorrow night.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment