Sunday, April 7, 2013

Maple Syrup!

Today we had another day off.  We slept in until 10:00, had breakfast then headed off to tour the Sugar Shack.  The Sugar Shack is where they make maple syrup, which you can buy in just about every gift shop in the Ottawa area.  We probably should have checked the weather first because when we arrived it was freezing and drizzling.  None of us had worn enough clothes!  Once we checked in we got on a horse drawn flatbed and went for a 5 minute ride through the forest.  The guy driving the sled was telling jokes nonstop (some were better than others) but when he found out we were involved with hockey he was all over those of us who are not Senators fans.  He especially loved taking digs at Melanie who is a Montreal fan!  Once we got off the flatbed they showed us how they tap the trees for sap and collect it.  After that we moved into a little cabin where the sap (which looks just like water) is heated to a specific temperature by a wood fire and the water is evaporated.  Apparently 4 liters of sap will make only about 1 liter of syrup.  Once we were finished in the evaporator room we headed in to another cabin to eat brunch/sample the syrup.  After eating, we headed back outside where we made syrup taffies.  This was pretty neat, they poured a line syrup on a bed of crushed ice then you took a popsicle stick and rolled it.  The ice crystallized and you now have a taffy!  It probably had the highest concentration of sugar I've ever tasted.  I can't imagine parents who take their kids on this tour, they have to be bouncing off the walls after eating one of these things!

Remember when I said I wasn't worried about packing for this trip because if I forgot something I could just go buy it?  Well I discovered a few days ago that I forgot to pack a bathing suit or shorts.  A group was going to the hot tub and I wanted to go in help loosen up my hip (which is definitely improving today) so I decided to go buy a pair of shorts.  Our hotel is attached to a mall so I had plenty of choices but there is a Lululemon right at the entrance so we stopped there first.  Now I have to preface this with I've always loved lulu clothing but I could never bring myself to spend that much money on workout clothing.  But, the store was offering us a discount with our credentials and I needed shorts so I figured what the heck, I'll splurge and buy a pair.  Let's just say I think I have my new favorite shorts and I may be on my way to becoming a lulu addict like some of the girls at my gym!  And I'm definitely not the only one who was a fan, some of the other girls spent a small fortune in there.  We are definitely contributing to the local economy!  Since I'm on shopping, one thing I have learned over the past few days is apparently Canada is pulling pennies out of circulation.  So whenever you buy something that isn't ending in a 5 or 0 they just round.  I'm a big fan, I wish the USA would do the same thing!  The fewer coins I have to carry around the better!

Following our shopping spree and hot tub time we all showered and went to an italian restaurant for dinner.  Therese, Denise and Joy have a little tradition where they wear matching outfits one day during the tournament.  It started one year when they were at a tournament and all bought these black and white stripped bathing suits to wear in the pool and it has been tradition ever since.  They broke out the 2013 edition of their outfits tonight, complete with a black & white striped blazer, red pants and matching shoes.  Everyone got a good laugh out of it!

Time for bed, big day tomorrow.  Laura and I are working the relegation game between Sweden and Czech.  Sweden won game 1 of the series in a shootout so I expect this one to be really close.  Also, for those not on facebook, here is a cool article the IIHF did on the officials at the tournament.  They messed up a few of the things we told them but you get the idea. http://www.worldwomen2013.com/en/news/2013-ww-officials/



No comments:

Post a Comment